Tom Shakespeare
Up
::

People with disabilities are all different.  Among key differences are impairments.  For people with physical or sensory impairments, the key is just access.  If people can get to work, and get in the office, then I think there is no reason why they can’t do as well as anyone else.  This means that access to education is vital – so people have good qualifications – as well as transport access.  At the workplace, there needs to be access to bathrooms, offices, and the necessary screen reader or other accessible software.

Once nondisabled people realise that workers with disabilities can be productive, I hope any prejudice is replaced by familiarity and acceptance.  I believer personal contact is the most effective attitude training!

I think the situation is a bit more complicated for people with intellectual disabilities – who may require everything I have mentioned, and a little more support.  Folk with psychosocial disabilities, who may be able to work some days and not others, might require flexible working – which is something that can benefit everyone with a disability, and indeed without.

In your experience, what has proved most effective for. different impairment groups.  I don’t think one size fits all – but maybe you have a different approach?