Dr Ingrid van der Heijden
Up
::

Thanks all who have contributed. This is a timely and important discussion to see happening, and I wish it would engage more experts (researchers with disabilities themselves). Co-producing and co-researching has been endorsed by many disability researchers (esp Barnes and Nind) who advocate emancipatory and empowerment research. I am thrilled to see some practical examples in this forum of inclusive research.

But how feasible is inclusive health research in volatile conflict/humanitarian settings where resources are restrained and OPDs are non-existent, compounded by the poor identification of persons with disabilities and lack of provision of reasonable accommodations in order to be involved in research about them and for them. There are also questions whether co-researchers can ever have genuine ownership of the research, which is inevitably initiated and managed by those in a position of power (i.e scientists, academics, funding bodies).

We need to collate best practices or practical examples of inclusive research and understand how or if they meaningfully impact on programming and address the needs of PWD- i.e are outcomes inclusive too? I’m doing some work in this field for a humanitarian/refugee organisation and the examples of inclusive RESEARCH are few and far between – most inclusion efforts focuses on humanitarian action and programming.